Lettuce wraps are VERY quick and easy to make, so we suggest you turn to them at least once a week for our family meals. Everyone is always happy, and there are rarely any leftovers when I make these.
We highly suggest using butter lettuce leaves for these wraps, as the delicate lettuce texture complements the complex flavors of your chicken filling perfectly.
- 4 skinless boneless chicken breasts
- 2 heads butter lettuce
- mushrooms, diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and very small diced
- 6 green onions, sliced
- 4 fresh cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp freshly grated ginger
- 3 Tbsps olive oil, or avocado oil, divided
Homemade Peanut sauce:
- 4 Tbsps creamy peanut butter
- Juice of 1 fresh lime
- 1 Tbsp raw honey
- 1 fresh garlic clove, minced
- 2 tsps freshly grated ginger
- Make your peanut sauce first.
- In a small bowl or glass jar, whisk all your sauce ingredients together briskly. Add in 3-4 Tablespoons of water slowly, and whisk or shake until you achieve your desired sauce consistency; set aside.
- Next, cut the chicken into large chucks and toss it into your food processor. Pulse a few times until small chopped (as shown in the pictures). Do not overdo it, we want very small chopped pieces, not ground.
- Heat a heavy skillet over medium-high heat.
- Heat 2 Tablespoons of oil, then quickly stir-fry the ginger and garlic until it starts releasing its flavor; just about a minute.
- Immediately add in your chicken, and cook until golden brown; season with sea salt and pepper, then set cooked chicken aside on a plate.
- Into that same skillet, heat remaining 1 Tablespoon of oil. Add in your mushrooms, carrots, and green onions then cook stirring occasionally for 6-8 minutes or so.
- Return your chicken to the pan and stir everything well to reheat and combine with the veggies. Remove the pan off the heat and drizzle in HALF of your homemade PB sauce.
- Stir well to get everything coated.
- To assemble your wraps; lay out lettuce leaves on individual plates, or onto a large serving platter as shown. I like to double up my butter lettuce leaves so that they hold together better while eating.
- Add two big spoonfuls of chicken mixture into the center of each leaf.
- Drizzle with remaining peanut sauce if desired, then serve while still warm.